Thursday, May 13, 2010

As a parent, don't you think it's healthy to expose your children to different religions?

How can parents only teach that one religion is the correct one to their child? Or even that you don't believe it but a lot of people do ...you know, people are different and you should respect their beliefs.As a parent, don't you think it's healthy to expose your children to different religions?
My future children will be raised by an atheist, but I plan to read them a lot of world mythology (as mythology is the word for ';every other religion but your own'; to believers). Historically and socially, it is important to be knowledgeable about religions -- how many politicians are still asking about the difference between Shiites and Sunnis? -- how many Christians believe the Bible condemns homosexuality?





I don't want my children coerced, but I don't want them ignorant, either.As a parent, don't you think it's healthy to expose your children to different religions?
I did teach my child about my faith (I was a practicing Wiccan during the years she was growing up), but I didn't tell her it was the only faith, and I allowed her to make her own decision. She also was allowed to go to synagogue with some of her friends, and to a Baptist church (where they tried to tell her I was the Antichrist and it was her duty to convert me, so she didn't go there again) and to Catholic church with my mother. If she'd been interested in other religions and known somebody who would take her, I would have allowed that, too.
when they are old enough to learn the differences then yes I will teach them about other religions some things about other religions are interesting and we will be traveling a lot and doing missionary work so they need to know what others believe and to respect it. I trust that I have taught them well and have been a good example that she too will follow Christ, and although that is the desire of my heart but she has a choice to make as well. Good luck with this and God bless you.
Define expose.


I teach my children the faith I know and believe. I teach them that there are other faiths and we are to respect them and their adherents. I teach them that we believe our faith is ';true';. I teach them other people believe their faith is ';true'; also. We practice our faith. They can figure it all out regarding the other faiths when they get older and if they are curious.
It is good to study all religions and different versions of the Bible but Jesus said you will know the truth and the truth will set you free John 8:32 So when you find the true religion then you will know it.





http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050101/art鈥?/a>
There is only one God - Jehovah. So that is the only God I teach my children about - because I love them.





Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
I would not expose them to any on my own. I'd let them form their own opinions, completely independent of my own.





I'm not a parent, but this is what I would do if I had children.
no

No comments:

Post a Comment