Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Has your view changed since becoming a parent?

... When seeing a child kick and scream on the floor of the supermarket aisle? What was it then, what is it now?Has your view changed since becoming a parent?
My view changed when my sister became a parent (8yrs before me)





Her son is autistic, and he could act out a lot in public when frustrated. The looks we got we just awful. Id hate to think I was one of those people who looked at a child and their parent and made the assumption that the child wasnt disciplined, or was badly behaved.Has your view changed since becoming a parent?
No, it hasn't. I have a 5 month old, a 5 year old, an 8 year old; watched my 11 year old sister grow up since she was 15 months old, and have 2 godsons ages 2 and almost 5, and NONE OF THEM have ever pulled anything like that and not been immediately disciplined and taken aside. Tantrums happen, certainly, but it's the parent letting it go on and on and on that annoys me to death. I still think it's the result of poor parenting, and it's incredibly rude of the parents to continually subject the rest of us to that by doing nothing to stop the kid.





Same goes with parents who let their kids wear Heelys in QFC and the kids slam into me in the frozen foods aisle, and the parents look at ME like I was at fault for being in the way and don't apologize or calm the kids down. I still want to trip those kids (I never would, but I like to imagine it for my own amusement).





I still don't like it when people bring their 3 year old to see a serious, R rated movie, sit the kid DIRECTLY behind my husband and I (usually when we're the only two groups in the theatre), and let the kid kick my seat through the entire movie, scream, whine for more milk duds, play gameboy and ruin everyone else's time.





I still dislike parents who let their kids run around in fancy restaurants, throwing broken crayons at other tables and tripping waitresses, as well as parents who bring a screaming baby into a restaurant and don't do anything to calm it or don't take the baby to the car or something.





Being a parent doesn't mean my sense of manners goes out the window, though I can't say the same for a lot of people.
I am not a parent, however,


when i see children kick and scream, as much as I hate it I know I was once that kid, and even when parents try their hardest, sometimes it just isn't enough. Humans do that type of thing when they are babies,and no parent is perfect.


I do, however, hate it when I see a kid swivvling on a chair , being harmless as can be and the mother yells 'STOP THAT!!'; ... its like, lady, its a kid swinging on a chair. He's minding his own bussiness. calm down. When you have a reason to get upset, he won't listen.
I believe they have changed. I have a new understanding for when a mother will snap at her kids, or ignore them when they're babbling nonsense. At the same time though, I think my patience is thinner for the kids who are throwing fits in stores, hitting their parents, or swearing at the parents. But the annoyance has passed from the children [before I had kids, I was almost upset with the kids for being like that], now I realize it's not the kids fault that their parents don't discipline them in some way when they throw a fit / swear / hit.
Before i became a parent i used to see children throw tantrums and i walways said that i would spank my child. But now im the mother of two wonderful boys and i find myself unable to pop them. I hate to see my children in pain and i'd really hate it if i were the reason. Life is funny when your on the outside looking in.
Not so much for me..


Then: What a brat! ( I wasn't very nice)


Now: Good grief people, do something for that child! (I don't use the word brat anymore)


Depends on the prent's reaction, too. If the parents *are* trying to discipline and teach the child how to act, I usually think, ';Good for them for teaching their kid to do the right thing';. If they are ignoring the tantrum, THAT'S when I think, ';DO something,. people!!';.
When I see a child throw a tantrum in public, I watch the parent's reaction. If the parent does the right thing, great! If the child is allowed to scream and make everyone else suffer, shame on the parent!





My view's been the same before I was a parent and now that I am a grandma...
Then - Wait till your father finds out about how your behaving. Oh dayum, I'm in trouble now!





Now - Knock Knock, yes this is DSS, heard you physically abused your child in public? Screwed!





Me - Up close and personal introduction to the side of a Cheeze it box. If I get them involved, the task usually goes without a hitch. If it does not, it's ';wait till your mother finds out';. Yeah, we work that well together.
I've never really had a problem with it, but I don't think I have because I have always understood that no matter how well behaved your children are they all throw tantrums!


I know its not fun when your children throw them, but I deal with them the best way I can without giving into them.
My view hasn't changed. Parents should tell their children to stop and explain why that isn't nice and tell them the consequences if they don't stop. If the child doesn't stop then the parent should follow through.
before i may thought oh god i dont want kids. never


now i think thank god its not my kids. thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment