Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Should I say I live with the parent that has a lower income on my FAFSA?

My parents are divorced and I currently live with my mom when I'm not away at college. However, My dad doesn't have a job and makes a much lower income than my mom so it seems like I would get more Financial Aid if I listed on my FAFSA that I live with him instead of my mom. Would this be Illegal?Should I say I live with the parent that has a lower income on my FAFSA?
universities.atwebpages.com - it has detailed info how to apply for financial aid and scholarships to get more cash.Should I say I live with the parent that has a lower income on my FAFSA?
Yes it would be illegal because which parent you report on the fafsa is VERY clear.





What if you are a dependent student, but your parents are divorced or separated?





鈥?You report information about the parent you lived with for the greater amount of time during the 12 months preceding the date you file your FAFSA application.


鈥?If you didn鈥檛 live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, then use information about the parent who provided the greater amount of financial support during the 12 months prior to the date you file your FAFSA application.


鈥?If you didn鈥檛 receive any parental financial support during that time, you must report information about the parent who most recently provided the greater amount of parental support.





Do I report stepparents鈥?information?


Your stepparent鈥檚 financial information is required on the FAFSA:


鈥?If the parent you received financial support from was a single parent who is now married, or


鈥?If the parent you received financial support from was divorced or widowed but has remarried. This does not mean your stepparent is obligated to give financial assistance to you, but his or her income and assets represent significant information about the family鈥檚 financial resources. Including this information on the FAFSA helps us form an accurate picture of your family鈥檚 total financial strength.
Yes it is. Its best to tell the truth on your fasfa because the school is going to request a copy of a tax return and if you are not listed on which ever parents taxes you say you live with your financial aid will be denied and you will hae to go correct your fasfa with the correct information. So don't delay your financial aid.
I would do it. As long as it is the same state especially, since you want to get instate tuition. The education system is a business set up to scam people and if it is the only way you will be able to go, sometimes you have to scam the system back a bit so you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment