Thursday, May 13, 2010

What are some disadvantages of being a single parent?

what are some disadvantages/advantages?





i would like answers that are from personal experience if possible.





I am a single parent, and I am doing a presentation and would like other's opinions.What are some disadvantages of being a single parent?
It's hard when I'm sick....There is no one else to take care of my son if I've got the flu so I just have to suck it up and take care of him.What are some disadvantages of being a single parent?
Advantages:


with one income you sometimes qualify for more programs and assistance - headstart, WIC, early choices, and other state funded programs.


you are able to make the deicsions on how you want your child to be raised. when co parenting you must compromise and work together to raise the child. coming from two separate families it is hard to find a common ground. one believes a child should have a TV in their room the other was raised that it is awful. one parent was raised that children should call adults by their last names only and the other was raised to call adults by their first names if that is what they prefer.


If you are happier alone then the whole family would benefit from not being in an unhappy relationship. When parents fight the children suffer.


Children are often closer to their extended family because they will help out the single parent more often than if they had two parents at home all the time.





Disadvantages:


Living on one income is harder than living on two incomes.


Having a partner to help with the daily life chores so that more time can be spent relaxing and playing with the children.


Having to work and being able to find someone to care for the children when they are sick and cannot go to daycare.


Being up all night wiht a baby and then having to go to work and do everything alone.


Not being able to be two places at once. Feeling guilty about not being able to attend everything and have cupcakes for the bake sale and afford to have 3 extra activities.


Feeling guilty about wanting to date and meet someone. Finding someone that will love your children like you do. Leaving them with a sitter while going out.


Having to take the children out with you to get their medicine or to the grocery store for necessities they need when they are ill.





Being a parent is hard. Being a single parent is extremely hard.





Good Luck. SD
Like I said when I answered the last question. I'm not a single parent but I my husband is deployed a lot so I've become the main parent a lot.





Not being able to share and laugh about those everyday things that parents get to see together.





No one to just hold a child or comfort the child when you're worn out.





No one to help out or make dinner just because you don't feel like it.





Kids **might not understand what a healthy relationship is when they become adults.





Finances.





Custody--if it's even an issue.





Patience. Sometimes I can go crazy [not in front of the kids] because it's constant interaction and no breaks.





Good luck on your presentation!
well, a huge study in sweden has shown that having a single mom, regardless of her income level, means you will be twice as likely to be unemployed, mentally ill, and a substance abuser. that's a disadvantage.





also, more than 10 hours a week separation from mommy is extremely damaging to an infant and toddler's emotional, phsyical, cognitive, and social well being, so that's a huge disadvantage.





also, kids need the modeling of a relationship between two adults to prepare them for being able to do relationships well.





also, single parents are too tired to take good care of their kids and themselves.
I am a single parent. Disadvantages-no one to share responsibilities. I am the mother, father, disciplinarian all the time. When he is sick, I have no one to help clean, take him to the doctor. It is very hard work.


Advantages- I am the one who gets to kiss the boo boo's. I get all the hugs and kisses.
Advantage- can't think of any offhandedly


Disadvantage- No one to share the childcare responsibility
Instead of thinking short term (no one to watch the kid, make dinner, etc.) think of the long term implications.





Children who grow up without 2 loving parents have no idea what a healthy, loving adult relationship is like. Guys are more likely to get girls pregnant young, girls are more likely to stay with abusers. The girls especially search for a father figure their entire lives. There is much research to back this up. Also, the kids are more likely to try drugs and alcohol and less likely to go to college.
I'm a single parent. The only ';disadvantage'; I have expierenced was nothing having another adult shoulder to ';cry'; on sometimes. Other than that there were no disadvantages. I prefered it over having a partner who was an absentee father at best.
Advantages? None really. Unless you were in a negative relationship that caused you and / or your children emotional or physical stress. In that case, it's far better to be happy and go it alone.


Disadvantages? Lots.


- no help, especially in the first few weeks when you need sleep and baby cries continuously while adjusting to sleep rhythms.


-just missing out on the joys of being able to share that experience, whilst pregnant, birthing especially! and those little special moments at home.


- missing out on the joy of watching dad beam over his little angel, and being reassured that you are doing your best and look wonderful, even though you know you look worse than ever just after giving birth!


- struggling financially, not being able to spend as much time with your child due to work commitments. Or staying home but not being able to afford much.





In a nutshell, the emotional and physical support is what makes the whole experience of parenthood really enjoyable, for me that is. I was a single mother with my first child, after the father walked out on me when I was pregnant. I have never seen him since. It was really tough and very LONELY.


Financially it was a real struggle, and although I managed to put myself through uni, I also had to work and look after my child. It was my child that missed out. I had no family support either, which made things even worse.





Now, I am married and have another three children with my husband. I can't compare the two, this time around I get to enjoy my children.. It is much easier when the load is shared and much more fun.


And the children are much more balanced...





If you have access to money and family support, things may be different but in general, I would not recommend it to anyone. Unless, of course, you are in a bad relationship which is affecting both you and the child.
disadvantages- finances, sharing child caring, guilt, not spending enough time with the child, not being able to make every practice or game, dating





advantages- less laundry and cooking for 2

No comments:

Post a Comment