Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do i have a choice on which parent to live with?

I'm 17 and i want to live with my mom but my dad has custody of me and says i cant because my moms not that good with money and unfit.


She has 3 kids living with her already and lives off food stamps and use to do drugs but stopped within the years.


If we went to court for this would my mom still get custody?Do i have a choice on which parent to live with?
Depends on the state, I am sure, but in California, if you are over 13, the courts usually let you decide who you want to live with....other things being equal.





By ';other things being equal';, I mean that both have to be basically physically, mentally, and economically ';fit'; and able to take care of themselves and you.





If that is there, the decision is usually yours, not matter what your parents want.Do i have a choice on which parent to live with?
Well, your 17. When you turn 18 you can do whatever you want anyways. But most states you can pick which parent you want to live with when you turn 13. Check with your state policy on this matter.
You can always try to get emancipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment