Monday, May 10, 2010

What is the best way to stop child support when you become the custodial parent?

Where I live? Florence, SC.


My spouse will receive custodial custody of his son in August. He has been paying child support and of course with my step-son coming to live with us, we need to stop child support the legal way. The question is this; with out going to court and spending thousands of dollars on lawyers and a drawn out drama session, is stopping child support as simple as just filing a petition with the court? And if it is,how do you go about doing that?


ThanksWhat is the best way to stop child support when you become the custodial parent?
You should have a child support office in the area with a case worker assigned to your case. You can ask for the paperwork to stop the order and have them file the paperwork. If both parties involved agree on stopping the order, lawyers may not be necessary because there are no disagreements to argue.What is the best way to stop child support when you become the custodial parent?
Your situation is similar to what mine was like.





I had three kids, then decided to move away since nothing was going to turn out right for me or my kids.





I paid my child support come hell or high water.





Since my ex wasn't a working woman, I had to pay off her lawyers, and that debt I still carry to this day.





In the divorce papers, there has to be provision for determining child support and particulars.





You can come to agreements without use of expensive lawyers if you can deal among yourselves as civilized people.





Not many people can, and I certainly had my fill of my ex's shenanigans...which is why I decided to pack it all in and head for the hills.





For awhile, I had custody of some of my kids, and it worked out well for my oldest son while living with me.





We made our arrangements and my ex had no choice but to go along with it.





I was always above board and very generous with my kids, so that one day, nobody should want to p+++ on my grave.





I wish I could be a little less in debt, but I gradually go about digging myself out of the crater my ex prepared for me.





I'm guessing your situation could be similar.





Good luck.
Get a hold of the office that is handling the child support case. Tell them over the phone what is going to take place.(this will document it in the system,but no change will happen)





Next- The recipient of the child support needs to send a typed,dated,signed letter asking that the case be dropped (include a reason why). Be sure that the case number and ss# is on the letter, make a copy of it and send it certified mail.


Call a week after and then everyday until it is confirmed that they received it . KEEP calling until both parties receive a letter stating that the case is closed.


I stress keeping on top of them because I have found unless you do your case will sit on a desk for months. Once I was told that nothing was ever received! I then faxed them a copy of the letter and the certified mail receipt and whops! Someone found it.


No one has to go to court.


Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment