Thursday, May 13, 2010

Do you think the death of a parent at a young age could cause traumatic stress disorder?

My mom died when I was 20. She was sick with cancer since I was 14. During that time, I wasn't aware of the seriousness of cancer, I was a kid. Now that I'm alot older, I wish I could go back, but of course I can't. However, I feel I have ';issues'; because of this. Do you (any professionals please answer, thank you) think that I could have traumatic stress disorder from something like this? I have serious trust issues as well as some other problems (depression, etc) Thanks in advance.Do you think the death of a parent at a young age could cause traumatic stress disorder?
PTSD-ummm nope. You don't seem to write about exhibiting any major symptoms and the time difference is pretty long. You maybe finally ready to deal with the pain as a result of her death that you supressed at your young age. Regardless i think you should talk with a professional. Losing someone at a young age and someone of such value will have severe affects on your psyche.Do you think the death of a parent at a young age could cause traumatic stress disorder?
One of my daughter's lost her father at the age of 9 from cancer also, She's had issues but not PTSD. MY ex husband also lost his father early at the age of six. IN fact two days before his sixth birthday. He's also had serious issues with depression and addictions. But as far as I know he hasn't been diagnosed with PTSD either. I know that both of them have issues with abandonment and trust issues with men, but no PTSD. And I would know I put my daughter in therapy to deal with her father's potential death when we found out that he was sick. She was in therapy for three years and if she'd had PTSD she would have been diagnosed and I would have been told. As far as my ex is concerned I don't' think that he suffers from PTSD but a real issue with abandonment and the fact that he mother became an alcholoic after his father's death
It is highly likely that you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, yes.


The best thing you could probably do is to see either a Psychologist or a trained Counsellor.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment