Monday, May 10, 2010

I was told that if your parent was in the military, but didnt go to college, that the kid can get thier funds.

My mom and dad was in the military, and he is currently deceased, and my mom didnt go to college, and my dad dropped out. I heard that a recent GI bill lets the kids get unused funds for college. Is this true?I was told that if your parent was in the military, but didnt go to college, that the kid can get thier funds.
Yes and no.





Under the new GI BIll, service personal with more than 10 years active duty service, can transfer thier GI Bill benefits to thier familiy members.





But it does not effect you.





Since your parents were under a different GI BIll.I was told that if your parent was in the military, but didnt go to college, that the kid can get thier funds.
no. at least not in your case. Only if your father was killed in combat would you have been able to use his GI Bill.





the new Bill, recently passed, does allow for the funds to be transfered, but your father does not qualify as he did not serve post 9/11.
http://education.military.com/money-for-鈥?/a>





Hope that helps :)
The new Gi BIll only pertains to those that served after 9/11. The older Gi Bill (which your father signed up for ) is non-transferrable. It also must be used by the member within 10 years.





Sorry, you are SOL
yes the new gi bill allows the spouse to use it instead of the primary recipent but I am sure there are plenty of schoolarships out there for Military children if you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment