Monday, May 10, 2010

Is there any reason why a parent shouldn't shower with a baby rather then bathe him/her?

I mean like, a youngish baby ... one that still needs to be held lets just say 5/6 weeks - 4/5 months?


If the parent is using baby soaps on the baby and is just holding the baby in a just under warm shower?Is there any reason why a parent shouldn't shower with a baby rather then bathe him/her?
I have tried it, VERY VERY slippery once you get those soaps on!! My husband or someone else also had to be right there when we got out because we both needed towels on to get to the bedroom to change. I have taken a bath a few times with my daughter, 10 mo, she loves it, we play and wash up and then since she is in her bath seat i get out put on my towel then get her out. Much easier. i dont think there is any other reason besides they are very slippery!Is there any reason why a parent shouldn't shower with a baby rather then bathe him/her?
As long as you are very careful to not drop them or let the water blast them in the face I don't see a problem with it. I would be very careful as a wet soapy baby can be a slippery baby, but if you are careful it should be fine. I always preferred baths with my baby, as it was easier because I could just sit my son in my lap and clean him. If I didn't have a tub I probably would have tried a shower. I do think baths are probably easier though. Do you have a detachable shower head, if so it may be easier to sit down in the shower with them in your lap and then use the shower head to rinse and wash.
We have done it since a few days after our girl was born. To start with both my husband and I would be in the shower with her, but now (at 6 months) I just do it by my self.





I always us a towel (hand towel mostly) to keep her from slipping in my arms and I make sure it is a fast shower as she can get cold pretty easy. I also make sure I have everything handy and already have soap on the face cloth.





I would also like to mention that I only do this about once a week, the rest of the time she baths with us.
I am a pregnant with my second baby. I know that I will take this new baby into the bath with me. I think it will be easier than putting the baby in their little baby bath. I don't think I would take a young baby into a shower though. It would be too easy to drop them with the soap and all. But a baby placed on you legs in a bath tub with only a few inches of water, I think will be easier than bathing them any other way. But I guess it just depends on the person.
One reason is because it is very slippery, i tried it when my daughter was 6 months, when she was able to sit alone, and yet when that water sprinkled out she got really scared and wanted to be carried, and she kept slipping off of me, it was very difficult to wash her. Trust me its better to bathe them.
Me and my fiance bring our son into the shower with us quite often actually. We had a little 'hammock' style seat we would sit him in, and I would wash him up and block the water from his face, and he loves it. He is now 7 months, and just sits in the tub, and plays with toys and the water splashing onto him.
i gave my baby baths in his little baby tub until about 4 months...until he grew out of it...he was a bigger baby....at my house we don't have a bathtub just a stand up shower...what i started doing was putting him in the shower with me while my husband stood by to help me...when he was able to sit on his own unassisted i just sat him on the floor of the shower...he loves the shower..he is 14 months old now...and i always shower with him
i did this the other night but i was sitting down in the tub while i washed his hair and body. i found it much easier. it was my 1st time trying it and my son looked a little confused but he enjoyed putting his toes in the water. i didnt put his whole body i still rinsed with a cup like i normally do but i let his back hit the water. i only did it bc my boyfriend was home and was able to grab him after he had finished and dried him off. i also could yell if i needed something. i also was sitting with my back hitting the water so it wouldnt spray ni his face. he was laying across my lap while i sat indian style.
Its a bit dangerous, slippery floor, slippery soapy baby. Plus, its a bit difficult to soap up the baby while you are holding him or her, and wash yourself too. If you wanted to do it with your husband it might work. Also, water could get in baby's eyes.
I would never shower with a baby just because babies are such slippery little things when they're wet! I have taken a bath with my son, but only when my husband is around to take him out for me while I get out. It's just too dangerous.
My son is 18 months and if we are in a hurry one of us will start our shower with him in there, wash him down and hand him to the dry parent to dry and dress. I see no prob with it at all!
I tried it once and my baby got really slippery and I thought to myself that this is very dangerous. So I didn't do it anymore.
I shower with my 1 yr old mainly because she crawls in by herself!..I find it easier..she just plays with her toys on the floor until I am done then i wash her up.
I would be too scared to drop the baby, they are so slippery . Plus I think a warm bath is more gentle than a shower.
I had a mesh sling that I'd use to shower with my baby. Otherwise, I would not have taken my baby into the shower.
I would be too afraid that I would slip and fall in the tub, or I would drop my son...they are slippery! I say to each their own.
Babies are very slippery when wet! Personally I'd be afraid to do it, but I know people who have.
i do it with my 8 month old son because every time we try to take him a bath by himself he cries like if someone is hurting him i see no reason why anyone shouldn't its just there choice that's all
Just sounds scary to me, I would just take a bath with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment