Thursday, January 21, 2010

Am i the only parent that doesn't allow my kids to watch disney channel?

the only thing they're really allowed to watch on there is cartoons.Am i the only parent that doesn't allow my kids to watch disney channel?
No, alot of parents don't even get the Disney Channel


How could we afford kids and that rip off cable?Am i the only parent that doesn't allow my kids to watch disney channel?
doubtful. but each parent will exclude things from their child's entertainment options for different reasons. is it for reasons of limiting the child's exposure to tv in general? or as far as disney is concerned, is it the negative socializing factors? which would include reinforcing gender and class stereotypes. while attempts have been made to portray females and minorities in positive lights, it still tends to shown these as obstacles to overcome or as whole of identities instead of holisticly. characters on childrens programming are 2 dimensional, but that is so children can understand motives and plot direction easier. things are simplified for kids, sometimes overtly (is it just me or is dora the explorer condenscending to a 4 year old's intelligence?). the other complaint towards disney and other childrens networks is the merchandising. The direct marketing to children has been phychologically concidered inappropriate due to developmental challenges it may cause as well as hyper-comsumer habits to manifest into adulthood. parents should take serious looks at what children are exposed to, especially television. when parents and peers are absent, it is the main source of socialization.
Ok im not you but honestly don't you think that's nasty? It wont hurt the brains or make them devils or make them dumb. Whats wrong with it honestly come one it doesn't shoes naked people doesn't have anything got to do with boyfriends or birds and the bee's and it isn't rude doesn't teach them bad things.


If you wanted my full opinion you need to let your kids be kids and stop being a over protective mother!
Judging by your answers, no you're not the only parent that doesn't allow it. It's obviously your choice as you're the parent, and you know whats best for your children.





My kids love the disney channel. They are active, in sports, honor roll, healthy fit kids. They aren't always home because our schedules are hectic outside of school hours. When they are, if we aren't playing board games as a family or planning to get ready to go out and hike or visit the playgrounds etc.. they are welcome to the TV. I have good kids that aren't much influenced by television shows. They read a lot, too. They aren't much influenced by every book they read, either.





I have seen every disney show and then some, that my children have seen. I haven't deemed any of it bad enough to shield them from.





Keep doing what you're doing, if that works for you. :)
My children won't be watching TV. Most likely my sons will be busy playing soccer. Anyway I'll only allow my kids to watch Arabic cartoon shows (as they will speak Arabic with their father and grandparents and cousins and uncles and aunts) and maybe some cartoons I watched as a kid like Pirates of Dark Water and Thunder Cats and Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and Bill Nye the Science Guy.
No. There are parents who don't allow their kids to watch certain things, parents who don't allow their kids to watch tv at all, etc. You aren't alone.





I think kids who aren't allowed to watch TV actually are more healthy and active. They go outside to play. They are more creative. They use their imaginations instead of tv dulling them.
I don't see much of a problem with the Disney channel shows.


I mean I don't know if I'd let a 3 or 4 year old watch, but I think they're fine for elementary aged kids. Much better than the ';tween'; shows on Nickelodeon (At least the Disney shows show some kind of moral lesson in the episodes, whilst the Nick ones are just full of disrespectful, bratty 12 year old girls).
Pretty much, and then as soon as they go to school, or get hold of the internet, or old enough to be left alone, they're going to go Disney Channel crazy. My mom wouldn't allow me to watch certain music videos, as soon as I went to grandma's on the weekends, I watched them all day and all night. Grandma didn't care. It was great.
My best friend and her family are total Diznoids. I don't want my child worshipping at the temple of the Corporate Rat.





We don't have cable anymore, so we don't watch any TV, but when we did, she watched Lilo and Stitch, and that was all. I find nothing redeeming in any of their programming. Mildly entertaining, but pandering to the lowest common denominator. There is just so much better stuff out there.





And the bonus is that I don't have a houseful of Hannah Montana or High School Musical crap, and my daughter is testing at the top of her class.





Hats off to you!





Let the thumbs down begin.
Nope, I don't let my toddler watch any tv (as long as I can help it). He is just too young. When he's older, I would probably let him watch cartoons, though. I guess it would depend on the age of your kids...if they are young, they are probably not old enough to get Hannah Montana anyways.
Although the DC has bad influences of a sort, it's not enough where I would ban it myself. But I miss the old shows: the Mickey Mouse/Donald etc cartoons, the reruns of the Club, Wonderful World of Disney. Gee, gang, Walt was swell!





And as for those of you who dont have cable/satellite, I have one thing to say to you...wait for it...You are my Heroes!!!/Heroines!!! And you are blessed!


(Is there some sort of step program that I could join...? )
Probably. Why don't you allow it? You should just watch with them and let them ask questions. Trying to forbid stuff only makes it more tantalizing to them, you know.
Yes you are the only parent. Why would you not let her watch Disney Channel it's great for kids. Especially Playhouse Disney.
I think the question should be beside disney channel what are the other options? If there are other options, I am sure you are not the only parent doing this. Do you have an option?
I don't know, I let my kids watch the Disney Channel. Mostly Playhouse Disney, but there are a few other shows they also like to watch.
I don't, its almost all tween show on there, not for my 3 year old. Its such a shame too cuz they used to have such good cartoons on there.
You might be the only person yes. What could possibly be the problem with Disney? Lighten up.
I think you're just being a wee bit overprotective?





There's nothing wrong with a bit of Hannah Montana or Wizards of Waverly Place.
am i the only parent who doesn't have cable so doesn't even get the disney channel?
I don't think it's good to shield children from everything.
We don't have cable or satellite so my kids don't watch it. But they do watch disney movies
Yes, you might be. They only problem I could see if they were watching Hannah Montana and you don't like her.
Wow, there's a stricter mom than me. I can't wait to tell Evan.
Yes you are :]
  • lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment