Saturday, January 23, 2010

How far can a parent go regarding medical consent?

about a year ago (i know a while back, but i just started really thinkin about it recently) i went to the gyn because i get very severe cramps when im on my period. she gave me birth control and my dad filled the prescription but he wouldn't let me take it? can he do that? also, any tips for cramps until i get the chance to get something that will help?How far can a parent go regarding medical consent?
Unless a court orders otherwise, yes your parents can prevent you from taking medication. You can always go to a community health center or Planned Parenthood and get the pill without parental permission and sneak it, but I don't recommend going behind your parents' backs. I would suggest talking to your mom and dad and asking why they don't want you to have it. It may be because they're afraid that you will start having sex because you are on it. I would tell them that the cramps are killing you and you need something to help you with the pain. Maybe it means you should go back to the gynecologist and your parents should tell your doctor that they refuse the birth control - then, maybe the doctor could look at other options. I don't understand why your dad would go to the trouble to fill the prescription if he didn't want you to have them though...
  • lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment