Thursday, January 21, 2010

Does anyone have a happily ever after story with their bipolar parent?

My mother was diagnosed as bipolar about 5 years ago, after I had been out of her home several years. Previous diagnoses include depression, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, hypothyroidism, chronic insomnia, sleep apnea %26amp; hypoglycemia. She has visited half a dozen doctors to get these diagnoses. She continually cycles through taking medicine from 1 doctor as prescribed, to taking medicine from several docs who do not know she is doctor shopping, to all-herbal(and I mean like, 20 - 30 different supplements a day), to no medicine.


With each new diagnosis/treatment, she seems to believe that she has turned a corner. If I try to talk to her about behaviors that seem harmful, she becomes too tearful and sleepy to talk. Recently, she has done some very hurtful things. I'm beyond trying to confront her about it.


Does anyone have a similar situation that turned out well? I keep hoping for the best, but her behavior gets more erratic and hurtful as time goes by.Does anyone have a happily ever after story with their bipolar parent?
It's possible.





I was diagnosed at age 7 as Bipolar among other things. I had done the whole 20 different doctors 50 billion different pills sometimes all at the same time deal a few hospital stays until I found my ';magic'; pills. They don't solve everything but I do live a somewhat normal life. The symtoms are very mild but still there. So it is possible. For some though there is no ';magic'; pills and even more popular is they just don't find them. Always have hope for her though. You don't even know how hard it is to have this. It is the worst feeling in the world to not be able to control your feelings/what you are feeling when you are feeling it. To feel happy when someone you love got dianosed with an uncurable disease is the weirdest/and worst feeling in the world...to not have any control over your feelings in awful. To not be in control of your situation is bad enough for most...to not be in control of anything is a very hopeless feeling. You feel very alone to say the least.





Just know that that is not her. She is not doing those things on purpose. Know that she loves you and can't control it. Keep working on a finding her ';magic'; pills. Know that she will never completely be herself again though. This is a part of her..and it will never be completly gone.Does anyone have a happily ever after story with their bipolar parent?
Umm if you mean will she be cured and live happily ever after know that it WILL NOT ever happen. her syptons can be controlled but she will not be cured there will always be problems though she can certainly live a normal stable happy life





Dont confront her about her behaviors shes bipolar and probably embarrassed by her own lack of control and you are certainly not helping
My father is bipolar. I try my best not to get angry with him because it really isn't his fault...I don't know what to say as these things usually don't turn out very well...just keep trying to get the right meds (that work for her) and insist that she keep taking them...
I've heard people that get on their meds and stay on them. Things will change for them. St Johns Wort is very helpful. The only way to take the herb is to get off her prescribed meds. Yea baby you take those 20 to 30 different vitamins. Meaning you also. Hey if you can afford this go for it. Drinks lots of water. Lots of vegetables. Stay away from lots of sugars. Take care of yourself. Continue going to school. Get a part time job. Soon the days will go by fast. School will be out soon. Have money to get things you need. Maybe your mom will be treated and well.
My dad is a bipolar sketsafrenik and he started having episodes, he stopt working at his job of 7 years and my mom left him now he lives on the steets of texas and i live in wisconsin all i can say is stay by her side as long as u can.
I do not have a happy ever after story, but I can say that the behavior does create a lot of sporadic / rash decisions. My ex wife was (is) bi-polar, and one day just decided that she was leaving me and our three children to pursue a whim. I would say to get her to seek out consistant professional help (more so than listed above). There are a myriad of medicines that are available now to help combat this. The bottom line is that she will need to ~want~ to change on a consistant basis. What I have noticed over the long course of dealing with this is that during the good times, there does not appear to be a problem, and they tend to think they are better, and stop taking the actions they were in an effort to address it. I wish you the best of luck!
Hi!it is not worth too many medicines every day!first of all, with ur personal research, try figuring on cause thats bothering her or u think would have been her first step to enter bipolar. try being with her as much s possible! i knw if she has done some harmful things, but she being your mum, there's still some hope!try putting her in happy situations, as much as u can. help her avoid small places where it is very easy for her to feel and see depression.





Sleep Apnea, and fatigue, i would suggest you to give her BRAGG'S APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. it is available in health shops. its a miracle product on this planet, that could do just about all possible good in one's body. It shd help her a lot for depression........TRUST ME!
Unfortunately I don't think things are going to turn out well for you.





The best thing to do is to do to what you need to for yourself. You can't change people even by loving them and supporting them and that's just the truth. However, you can protect yourself from more emotional heartache and being used.





If you can't deal with your mom while she's cycling and not taking her medicine properly, you need to tell her. Then you need to remove yourself from the situation.
my bi polar grandmother killed herself.


and my dad is a pot smoking hippie


my brother is moody





so no.


me, i just seem like im pmsing 24/7
my hubby and i are just waiting for the day we can even just speak to his mother again


she has bipola, but also takes drugs..its not the best mix





she is going through court to fight for her 6yr old son (my hubbys little brother).. but bash's him till he bleeds and doesnt understand hes better off without her.


she makes up terrible lies to win the court over, but in the mean time has lost half of her family


we pray and hope for the best also but everyone has tried to help.. and now... its only her who can help herself..
My bipolar father died in prison when I was 18. that was a happy ending because I never had to see hime again.

No comments:

Post a Comment