Saturday, January 23, 2010

Should i tell the other parent if their child is teaching my child bad words?

Both children are 4 years old. The friend is a boy who learned the word ';idiot'; from the movie Cars. I know his mom has spoken to him about not using that word.





This morning, my daughter shocked me by calling someone an idiot!! She said she heard that from this particular friend.





Should I meantion this to the other mom??? If so, how should I say it?Should i tell the other parent if their child is teaching my child bad words?
Since the mom already knows it's a problem, I would leave it alone. Just explain to your daughter that it's not a nice word for her to use. If the mom didn't know about it or you weren't sure, I'd say to mention it. There was a little boy my mom used to watch who had picked up some really bad language and used some of it. Thank goodness my son wasn't paying any attention because he is one to repeat bad words over and over when he hears them especially if I tell him not to. With the other little boy, I just told him it wasn't a nice word and please don't say that, and he didn't say it anymore. I did mention it to his parents because I thought they might not be aware of the problem, and they weren't. They didn't get upset with me for telling them. I just told them he had picked up a few choice words and repeated what I had heard him say. They actually thanked me for letting them know.Should i tell the other parent if their child is teaching my child bad words?
You could, but really she could have picked it up from anywhere now a day and there is not much you can do to ';prove'; she picked it up at her home. If you feel that strongly about it then go ahead and mention it to the other child's Mom.





But to be completely honest, your child and this other woman's child could have heard ';idiot'; from the guy next door or even another child on the play ground.


Please don't place the blame on a movie. Idiot is one word the is a lot better than some a child could pick up.





I'd say also to tell your daughter that the word ';idiot'; is mean and will not be used in your home. Tell her if she calls you or anyone else something like that again that there will be a punishment to follow. Personally I believe that since your daughter knew to use the word as an insult towards someone that she already knew it was wrong.
YOu cant block out the negative words from the outside world to your children. I have 3.5 y/o 's and when they use language that is not appropriate then I tell them that ';we do not talk like that.'; They picked up the ';na na na na naaa na'; at nursery school, and after our talk about we dont talk like that and it is not nice, they stopped it. ( We were out for ice cream last night and a group of children said that little saying and my girls just looked at them like they could not believe they were doing it.) But, be consistant or it will not work.


I think that mentioning it to the other mom would not really solve the issue that you are facing.


Good luck.
Try to say it lightly and not in an accusatory way. next time you're talking to her say something like





';I had no idea how easily kids pick up words! Ya know my kid called someone and idiot and said that she heard it from your kid who heard it in the movie Cars?! Pretty crazy how a Disney movie can teach 2 kids something like that!';





Keep it light and see what she says. Realistically, your daughter WILL hear those words on the playground but it's nice of you to let the boy's mother know.
no. if his mother has already spoken to her child then she is aware of it and will think your trying to perfect her imperfect child. just make sure yours understands it is bad. if the words get worse and your child starts using more then i would talk to her about it.
Idiot is not a bad word. It maybe used negatively towards a person but there are worse words they could be saying. Leave it alone.
If you know the mom is already working on the problem, I don't really see a point in bringing it up.
no the other mother would only get offended and it could cost your friendship

No comments:

Post a Comment