Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is the age 6 to old to be bathed by opposite sex parent?

I read a question and answer where a lady still bathes her 6 year old son.Is the age 6 to old to be bathed by opposite sex parent?
i think that at age 6 they can bath themselves- u fill the tub and maybe help with the shampooing but thats about it. they can darn well bath themselves.Is the age 6 to old to be bathed by opposite sex parent?
I don't think it is too old. I''m a single mother with a son who is 7. At that age you can't expect me to leave him the bath by himself. I take a book into the bathroom and read or talk to him while he is washing. Though I trust him to wash himself properly he still can't wash his back or hair by himself.
My son will be six in a few weeks time, I sit in the bathroom with him, washing him is a joint effort and I still shampoo his hair and rinse. Although I will admit that as a general rule he washes his own didge.





I will continue to do this for as long as needed or until he asks me not to or it just becomes awkward.





I feel it reflects a really sad world when we start to question a mothers right to care for and nurture her children.





We have quite an open house when it comes to me and my children I still get undressed in front of them and find me any mother who can have a bath in peace!





On the other hand my partner (my children's father) is totally the opposite which is understandable as our daughter is 12 and at that age where all of a sudden shes shy.





All children and family's are different,as we all interact with each other on different levels, maybe I'm too soft and should make him be more independent but just maybe I'll keep my baby for a little while longer, they grow up so quick you have to treasure the short time they let you mother them! :-)
It's a sad world we live in where people assume that a parent is molesting a child if they help them bathe at the age of 6. If they are still doing it at age 12 then it becomes a bit ';icky';.





That said, my 6yo is more than capable of showering or bathing himself, and I encourage his independence. I do however have to check that knees and elbows have MOST grime removed before it gets wiped off onto the clean towel!
I have a 6 year old son and while I sit in the bathroom with him, he does everything else himself (washes his hair and body etc...). All I do is fill the tub and make sure he rinsed all of the shampoo out of his hair. OR he will take a shower by himself...all I do is turn the shower on and off when he is through. I think when a child is about 8 years old, it's probably okay not to sit right by the tub but still keep within earshot of the bathroom.
I don't see it being an issue. However at age 6 a child should in most instances be able to do most of their own bathing. My 7 yr old has been bathing himself for about 2 years, though started learning when he was 3 and 4. I still go in and check to make sure he's ok, and that he's clean and has rinsed all soap/shampoo, but I allow him to bathe himself.





However in some cases, kids do need a parent to bathe them well past 6, because of special needs.
At six a kid should be able to handle bathing themselves, though probably still needs help making sure they've got all the shampoo out of their hair. A parent should be able to bathe their child without the public sticking their noses where they don't belong and making sick accusations. Maybe this person is a single parent? I will be a single mom in December, if I have a boy I'm not going to make him go dirty after his first year. What is she going to do, go out and ask some random guy (who might be a pedophile) to bathe her son because they are both male? That's ridiculous.
There is nothing wrong with a parent seeing their child in his/her 'birthday suit', or with helping them bath, change etc; as long as the child is comfortable with it. When the child starts asking the parent to step out of the room for them to be able to get dressed or take a bath then the parents should respect that.
of course it's fine - they're your CHILDREN!





So, you're saying that a 6 year old who has a single mother as a mum should never allow her to see him naked and he has to learn to bathe himself - now THAT would give him issues for life!





At six, they don't really know how to wash themselves properly and they need help. My husband always bathes / showers our 6 year old daughter to give me a break when he gets home. It's natural for the both of them and allows them to spend quality time together playing with bath toys and interacting together.





Now if the question was that a dad was still bathing his 16 year old daughter, there might be some issues.
No 6 is not too old. But it is important to encourage children to learn to do things for themselves, including washing. At about age 6 children are old enough to take a large responsibility for keeping themselves clean, with parents or carers reminding them what and when they have missed lol
In a ';Normal'; scenario - the Mom is the one who gives her son a bath 99% of the time. Why is that a bad thing?





My son just turned 8 and I sometimes have to go in there because he does not scrub his neck lol. He's perfectly fine with it... in fact, he likes to play in the tub while I sit on the floor or toilet and talk to him.





It will stop when he asks me to stop going in, and from the looks of it... it's going to be a while.
Of course it's perfectly fine. Is his/her parent!





Kids can be very messy and might not clean themselves really well, so a parent steps in and finishes the job.





The kid will tell you when it's time to stop checking their cleanliness thoroughly.
Most of the time a 6 year old should be able to handle most aspects of bathing. But a parents should be in the room or check up on them and they'll also need help them with things such as washing hair.





But to answer your question: No.
It all depends on the maturity of the child. If they have a lot of innocence then it's fine but if the child knows more than they should, you might want to consider not doing that.
I don't think the problem is with a parent bathing a child of the opposite sex. By 6, a child really should know how to take a bath on their own.
Its perfectly fine...how else is the child going to get a bath. I am a single mom of 2 boys, and I don't have a choice as to which parent gives a bath.
Not at all, a child of 6 is exactly that, a child. It's perfectly normal.
both parents and kids should be able to see the other nude. My sons are 7 (twins) and my oldest girl is 14, we are all able to be around each other.
It's fine unless the child feels uncomfortable
No. 7 or 8 is getting too old and they are old enough to bathe themselves.
my god why should it be wrong for parents to bath kids we will end up with a youth that is so paranoid and insecure about their bodies if we as parents suggest its wrong surely.
No---so long as the lady bathing him isn't naked!!!
i'm 13 and my dad last bathed me when i was 9...
I'd say once he hits 7 she should stop. But really, what's there to hide?

No comments:

Post a Comment