Saturday, January 23, 2010

Where is a severely retarded 35 year old supposed to go if his parent won't take care of him?

I'm not really talking about me, but a severely retarded or mentally ill person. Mean big time here, not just slightly. Assuming he does not pose a harm to himself or others. Where is he supposed to go if his disability check in only 600 dollars and the cheapest apartment in town is 800 and he is so retarded or mentally ill that he can't work? Where does he go?Where is a severely retarded 35 year old supposed to go if his parent won't take care of him?
Well, some people end up homeless and die someplace, like under a bridge.





Most people get help from social services. In my state (Minnesota) the country provides that help. They are supposed to find you a place to live, and they will take over as a ';representative payee'; for social security if needed, and give the disabled person a small allowance. Often there is HUD government housing that charges rent based on ability to pay, or there is assisted living, or group homes. Depends on how functional you are - I know several developmentally disabled people (mentally retarded) who keep their own apartments, and people with severe mental illnesses, too. Some own their own homes (but I live in a rural area, you can get a house for $40,000). And actually, there are all levels of disability - I get social security disability because I'm bipolar and believe me, it is very severe- but I can fake normal when I have to because I'm smart. And I bet you didn't guess I had severe mental illness until I told you so. Then there are people who are both mentally ill and developmentally disabled, and that is terrible. In states where social services are not that good, people can and do end up homeless, and can die for lack of help.Where is a severely retarded 35 year old supposed to go if his parent won't take care of him?
To a group home or a similar facility.





When you say that his parent won't take care of him - is this person being neglected? If so, you should act quickly so that this person isn't harmed. Look in the phone book under mental health centers or counseling centers. If you can't find what you're looking for, call one of the community mental health centers and they should be able to tell you where the nearest group home is. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment